Sunday, August 18, 2013

Blackberry Cornmeal Cupcakes

 




Blackberry Cornmeal Cupcakes

Once again I was traveling this week! These cupcakes are actually an old favorite, and can be made in a single bowl, which makes them ideal for an on-the-road recipe. Since I didn't want to bring my baking tins with me, I decided to use my silicon cups. This is definitely the best experience I've had baking with them; incidentally, it's also the one where I took the time to butter and flour them. Make a huge difference. I should have known.

This recipe is also great with blueberries or other fresh berries.

Cupcakes:
1 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
7 tbsp (nearly one stick) of butter, melted and cooled
At least 1 cup of fresh or canned blackberries


Preheat oven to 375 F.

Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and butter; be sure the butter is cool enough not to cook the eggs, and that the buttermilk is room temperature enough not to curdle the butter.

Sift flour, cornmeal, baking powder and sugar into the butter mixture. Whisk until combined. Mix in 1 cup berries.


Pour batter into baking tins or silicone molds. These cupcakes don't rise much, so you can fill them about as full as you like. Place several berries on top of each portion of batter.


Bake for 12 minutes, turn, bake 12 minutes (10 each if using silicone molds, which are smaller).

Let cool.

Makes 15.

These cupcakes can be eaten as snacks or crumbled over ice cream; they're good warm or cold. The perfect on-the-go cupcake!



Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment