Saturday, June 29, 2013

White Wine Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting and Raspberries





White Wine Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting and Raspberries

First up, I have to admit that these cupcakes didn't turn out very well. The texture was great, but they tasted extremely yeasty and musty. My thinking is that I used the wrong kind of white wine -- I know that's where the taste came from, and I assume that the kind I used was not actually meant for baking. The recipe suggests using a reisling, so maybe that is the way to go. On the other hand, although I didn't like the taste, one of my taste testers loved these, so maybe it's up to individual preferences. You be the judge!

Cupcakes:
2/3 cup (13 2/3 tbsp, or about 1 and 2/3 stick) butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 3/4 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup sweet white wine
6 egg whites

Preheat oven to 350 F.

In one bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. In another, sift together flour and baking powder. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter, alternating with the wine.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.

Bake for 10 minutes, turn tins, bake 10 minutes. Let cool.

Makes about 22.


Frosting:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
6 oz. white chocolate
2 1/2 cups xxx sugar
1 1/2 tsp sweet white wine

Melt your white chocolate either over a double boiler or in the microwave; if you use a microwave, remember to do it in small increments, stirring often, so it doesn't burn. Let cool somewhat.

Cream butter until fluffy. Add in white chocolate, then sift in xxx sugar and wine. The icing may get somewhat runny because of the warm chocolate; if necessary, sit it in the fridge for a little while to cool.
When the frosting is the correct consistency, frost your cupcakes. This recipe makes more icing than is strictly necessary, so I was extremely generous with the frosting. I do think it can balance the cupcakes well.

To finish:

Garnish with fresh or thawed frozen raspberries. I used black raspberries because they're in season right now, but red raspberries and white wine are a classic combination.

As I said, the biggest problem with this recipe was the yeasty taste from the wine. I think with a more delicately flavored wine they could be really good. And the cake was wonderfully light from all the egg whites. I'd love to hear from anyone who tries this recipe and see whether you had more success!


Recipe adapted from We Are Not Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment