Saturday, February 9, 2013

Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes




Cream Filled Chocolate Cupcakes
This recipe was originally supposed to be for "jumbo" cupcakes; I have no idea where you'd get such tins, so I put them in regular tins. The recipe claimed to make only 12 cupcakes, so I assumed I'd better double it -- it ended up making 60 regular size cupcakes. SIXTY. Don't do this. I promise. It is horrifying.


That said, the cupcakes were really nice and fluffy, and the cream filling contrasted well. Plus, filling cupcakes is not nearly as daunting as it sounds.

Cupcakes:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, beat until they're mixed in. Add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternately. The batter is super fluffy.

Fill your baking tins about 3/4 of the way up. Bake 10 minutes, turn, and bake for another 10 minutes.


Filling:
1 1/2 cups marshmallow cream
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter.

The butter should be room temperature. Beat it until it's fluffy and smooth, then add marshmallow cream and beat until fluffy. I used the whisk attachment on my mixer for this.

The recipe says you should then chill it for 15-30 minutes. I found this made it a bit hard to use in the piping bag.

To finish:
Use a melon baller/apple corer/small knife to scoop out the middle of the cupcakes. You should save the part you scoop out so you can put it back on top afterward.


Put the cream filling in a piping bag with a wide-ish tip. Use the bag to fill the cavity of each cupcake, then put the scooped-out part back on to seal the cupcakes. Pipe a squiggle on top. As you can see, I added sprinkles to mine, since Valentine's is coming up.


Here you can see three rows of cupcakes, one hollowed out, one filled with cream, and one with the extra cake put back on top to cover up the cream, so you can see roughly how I did it. Like I said, it is much easier than it sounds.

Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment