Thursday, January 31, 2013

Buttermilk Funfetti Cupcakes with Fluffy Vanilla Frosting









Buttermilk Funfetti Cupcakes with Fluffy Vanilla Frosting

idk, I have an art show to go to to-morrow (I have three pieces in it) and they asked if the artists could bring food. I've been wanting to do something easy, especially since my sister is visiting this weekend and I think I'm going to try chocolate malted for her. So yeah.

Cupcakes:

4 1/2 cups flour, sifted
3/4 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup + 2 tbsp (2 1/4 sticks) butter
2 1/4 cups sugar
5 whole eggs + 3 egg yolks
2 cups buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
Rainbow sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Whisk together flour, bp, and bs. Set aside. In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time; then add yolks, and beat until combined.

Add buttermilk and flour alternately. Add vanilla.

Add in the sprinkles last of all, and mix as little as possible. If you overmix, the color will bleed out of the sprinkles (this happened to me, sob).

Fill cupcake tins about 3/4 of the way with batter. Bake 10 minutes, turn, bake another 10 minutes.
Note: this recipe makes a LOT of cupcakes. It claims 36, but I got a respectable 42, and I'm prone to overfilling the cups. If you're worried about having too many, definitely cut the recipe in half.

Frosting:

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, soft.
2 cups xxx sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Milk if needed
Food color if desired

Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add vanilla. If the frosting is too thick, thin it a little with milk/cream -- just be careful to add the liquid in roughly 1 tbsp increments, because it's super easy to overdo it.

There was pretty much exactly enough icing for all the cupcakes in one batch, and I think I'm fairly liberal with icing, but if you are an icing lover you may want to add half again to this recipe.

As you can see, I colored mine. I use Wilton paste colors and I'll swear by them, but liquid food dyes certainly work fine as well.

As a final note, I swear this color is not brown. It's raspberry. It just didn't show up right in pictures at ALL.


Adapted from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes.




No comments:

Post a Comment